Wednesday, November 28, 2007

LibraryThing Early Reviewer

As you can see at the far left, I've added a new badge of honor to my blog: I've been chosen as a "Library Thing Early Reviewer." Several publishers provide advance reading copies (ARCs) to LibraryThing to distribute to selected LibraryThing members. As this article says, publishers are banking on ordinary bloggers, like yours truly, to help create an online buzz for their new releases. A free book for me, free publicity for the publisher. In my case, the publisher is St. Martin's Press, and the book is Becky, the new novel (due out in January) by Florida novelist Lenore Hart. It's the story of Mark Twain's Becky Thatcher, Tom Sawyer's girlfriend, looking back from the perspective of old age on a long and full life—and filling in the rest of the story of her friendship with Tom and Huck. I loved Geraldine Brooks' March, which does a similar thing with Mr. March, the absent father in Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, so I was willing to give this latest literary re-imagining a try. I'm looking forward to receiving the book and sitting down to read. When I'm done, a review will be posted here.

Preorder Becky from River City Books in Northfield.
Preorder Becky from Amazon.com.

5 comments:

kookiejar said...

Congrats on being chosen to be an early reviewer! Sounds like fun...also sound suspiciously like 'work' which is something I avoid at all costs. :P

Bleeet said...

Sounds a little like you're being used, Rob...

You've been added to the advertising gears. You're now a cog in the literary hype machine.

Welcome aboard! I've been (tangentially) sailing on that skiff for many years now.

My advice as a cantankerous sort: Trash everything that they send you. See how long they keep you as deckhand on the good ship SS Hyperbole.

Rob Hardy said...

Yes, but...free book. Books good.

Bleeet said...

True dat, as the kids say.

Damn kids...

fabrile heart said...

I look forward to reading your reviews...

Now Available: Domestication: Collected Poems 1996-2016.

Domestication: Collected Poems 1996-2016 . Published February 25, 2017.  Available now from Shipwreckt Books in Rushford, Minnesota, ...