The Last Day of Summer

This morning, Clara and I walked in the Lower Arboretum, where the prairie is flecked with the autumnal purple and white of the asters. In the afternoon, I spent an hour in the Concert Hall at Carleton, listening to Hector Valdivia (violin) and Kathryn Ananda Owens (piano) in stirring performances of Mozart's Sonata in F, Bartók's Sonata no. 2, and Manuel de Falla's Seven Spanish Folksongs. Then I came home, ate a Zestar apple from Fireside Orchard, mowed the lawn for the first time since early July, and had a equinoctial supper of grilled burgers and late season sweet corn from the Bridgewater Produce Farm stand.

Comments

Shan said…
Sounds like an awesome day. I went running in the Arb last evening--I love the prairie flowers right now. SO lovely!
Jim H. said…
Had my first Zestar apple yesterday. Bland. Prefer Fuji or Granny Smith.

Popular posts from this blog

Hero Now Theatre's Production of "Oresteia" (adapted by Rob Hardy from the original by Aeschylus)

New Publication: "Bee Line: How the Honey Bee Defined the American Frontier"