Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A Decade of Buffy

On March 3, 2007, I was standing in Tewkesbury Abbey, admiring the Norman and Decorated Gothic interior of my favorite English parish church. I was totally oblivious to the fact that, exactly ten years earlier, on March 3, 1997, Buffy the Vampire Slayer debuted on the fledgling (and now defunct) WB network, ushering in the greatest seven seasons in the the history of television. A few nights ago, Clara and Will and I began watching the entire brilliant series on DVD. Seven seasons of Slayery goodness! Watching Buffy reminds me that our next trip to England will have to include an excursion to Cornwall to visit St. Anthony Head.

Here, for your special delectation, is Joss Whedon's Equality Now speech (note: according to IMDb, Joss has left the Wonder Woman project alluded to in this video):

4 comments:

Penny said...

Over the past couple of years I've seen almost all of the Buffy series for the first time, on DVD, with my daughters and enjoyed it thoroughly. Now I've just finished season two of Veronica Mars, which has a Buffy-like appeal in certain ways -- with less staking. Both are terrific shows with wonderful dialogue! I watch no broadcast TV, only selected shows on DVD, sometimes years after the fact...

fabrile heart said...

I've never seen a single episode of Buffy, but we do own Serenity and all there is to own of Firefly - shame it got cancelled after such a short run. Thanks for posting the interview with Joss Whedon I hadn't heard him interviewed before despite his antipathy towards stupid reporters!

What I want to know though, is why St Anthony Head? I have traced some of my family history back to Kernow, but I have to admit I prefer the rugged north coast.

Rob Hardy said...

St. Anthony Head: inside joke. The actor who plays Giles on BTVS is Anthony Stewart Head (although for recent roles he has dropped the Stewart).

fabrile heart said...

agh ha! I failed the enlightened test ;)

Now Available: Aeschylus, Oresteia: An Adaptation

Now available from Hero Now Theatre: Aeschylus, Oresteia : An Adaptation by Rob Hardy . Paperback. 72pp. $16.95 In his adaptation of Aes...