Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pumpkin Flower

October has brought a harvest of new books from people I know or used to know. I'm beginning to feel like the one vine in the pumpkin patch that flowered like the rest, but never produced a pumpkin. Here are a couple of the prize pumpkins produced this October.

Kerry Langan, Only Beautiful & Other Stories (Wising Up Press). Kerry has been a friend since our desks faced each other in the Oberlin College Library in the mid-1980s. She was a young reference librarian and I was a student worker at the circulation desk. Kerry and I share a birthday, and a similar history. In the 1990s, she gave up the reference desk for a life as a writer and a stay-at-home mom. She has written and published numerous short stories, and several of them, along with a novella, are brought together in her new book.

Rebekah Frumkin is a student in my Latin 101 class this term. She won her first national writing contest at the age of seven, was a published fiction writer as a teenager, has contributed to McSweeney's Internet Tendency, and as a sophomore at Carleton has had a story chosen by Dave Eggers for Best Nonrequired Reading 2009. You can read her story, "Monster," here. Rebekah really makes me feel like a wilted pumpkin flower. She'll be signing books at the Carleton Bookstore on November 3.

3 comments:

Shan said...

Wow. Rebekah sounds like quite a prodigy.

Don't feel like a wilted flower! You have two readings this Friday! (And Christopher and I will be at the 4 p.m. one, by the way.)

Christopher Tassava said...

I don't think a pumpkin's the right botanical metaphor. Too fairy-taley. How about a resilient evergreen that develops slowly but surely and one day towers over all the other plants? (I can't wait to hear the work tomorrow...)

Clara said...

You've produced lots of pumpkins, you nit-wit -- you just always push them into a drawer when you're done so nobody else gets to see them. Oops I guess I mixed my metaphor there. I say liberate those captive pumpkins!

Now Available: Domestication: Collected Poems 1996-2016.

Domestication: Collected Poems 1996-2016 . Published February 25, 2017.  Available now from Shipwreckt Books in Rushford, Minnesota, ...