Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Last Saturday of Winter Term

This morning I was up at 6:15 to start making two dozen bagels for my Latin students, whom I had invited for brunch at 10:00. I also bought a dozen enormous, buttery croissants at the Quality Bakery, and Nutella, and jam, and fruit, and lox and cream cheese for the bagels. (The lox, from Just Food Coop, was made from sustainably harvested salmon.) Of my class of twelve students, only seven showed up, and they were gone by 11:15, leaving many leftover croissants and bagels. (The boys later descended on the croissants and Nutella and finished them off.)

Full of bagels and lox, I took a brief nap, then strolled downtown. On Bridge Square, a group of students from Prairie Creek Community School were holding a rally to encourage people to support downtown businesses through these economic hard times. One of the downtown businesses sunk by the recession is River City Books, which is in the midst of its going out of business sale. I stopped in and found five copies of my poetry chapbook in the shelf. Now's a good time to pick up a copy. All books are 35% off.

From the bookstore, I walked along Hwy 19 to the entrance of the Lower Arboretum. The path I skied on Tuesday is now a sheet of dirty, boot-marked ice. Unable to go far on the ice, I sat for a while on a large rock beside the river and watched large chunks of ice floating downriver, and a bald eagle flying low overhead.

1 comment:

Shan said...

What kind of crazy college kids don't take advantage of an invitation to a scrumptious, free breakfast at the cozy home of a nice professor? They didn't even have to get up early for it! If I were an unethical person I'd say give the ones who didn't show up Ds in your course.

Two New Online Publications

Two of my very brief essays were published online this summer. The first was the essay " Telephone ," which appeared in June in t...