Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election 2008, Part III

Peter working the phone.

I had lunch at the Classics Table at Carleton, finished reading my Greek assignment for tomorrow, then returned home to have a nap and a hot bath. Two of the Classics majors at the table were reminiscing about their public high school science teachers, who refused to teach evolution because they didn't believe in it. I've fallen into a bit of a low-pressure system mood. This afternoon, I got a call from a local voter who asked me, "If you were to run for state or federal office, what would your position be on abortion and gay marriage?" I told him that I wasn't interested in any office other than school board, which is the absolute truth. I told him that I am pro-choice. I told him that it was important to me that people of differing opinions and beliefs learn to have respectful and productive public conversations about controversial issues. In fact, that I have been involved in such conversations is a matter of public record: I took part in a long conversation on LocallyGrown about abstinence-only sex education, and I believe that in that forum I earned the respect of people on both sides of the issue. In any case, I'm feeling a little depressed at the thought that there are people who will judge me on the basis of a biased reduction of complex issues and a partial and often erroneous impression of who I am. I'm not really cut out to be a politician.

Meanwhile, Peter, who is fourteen, spent the entire day door knocking and making phone calls for the DFL (Democrats). Although he's not old enough to vote, I think it's great he's gotten involved. Will, who's seventeen, has also made calls for Obama this election season. By the next Presidential election, they will both be eligible voters. It's great that they're taking an interest, participating in the democratic process, and looking out for their own future.

1 comment:

Shan said...

Congrats to both your sons for their involvement and engagement. That is truly admirable. I am proud of them for you.

You ran a good race and did your best. That's all anyone can ask of one's self (or anyone else). There will always be those who are judgmental and reductionistic. You do good work every day.

And we can all celebrate today the wonderful presidential election victory.

Now Available: Aeschylus, Oresteia: An Adaptation

Now available from Hero Now Theatre: Aeschylus, Oresteia : An Adaptation by Rob Hardy . Paperback. 72pp. $16.95 In his adaptation of Aes...