Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Seven Songs Meme/Musical Crush of the Week

“List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they're not any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they're listening to.”

1. Tift Merritt, "Broken" Everything about Tift Merritt is beautiful.

2. Michelle Branch, "Everywhere" Michelle Branch was eighteen when her debut album, The Spirit Room, was released in 2001. I first heard her when she appeared on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, singing "Goodbye to You" at the end of the episode "Tabula Rasa" (November 13, 2001). On the strength of that appearance, I bought her album and fell in love with its catchy, guitar-heavy pop songs. I recently rediscovered the album, and can sometimes be found dancing around and singing along with Michelle in a strained voice ("I don't care what they're saying, as long as I'm your girl...") while loading the dishwasher.

3. Sister Hazel, "All for You" A perennial summer favorite, impossible not to sing along to.

4. Alison Krauss and Union Station, "New Fool" About ten years ago, on a beautiful summer day, we drove through Marinette, Wisconsin, with this song playing on the car's CD player. The song became permanently associated in our minds with the excitement of crossing into the U.P., and it's become a ritual to cue it up on the CD player and sing along as we drive through Marinette each summer.

5. Ben Folds, "Landed" Any list of songs that I listen to regularly has to include Ben Folds. When Will is home, he can usually be found at the piano, playing something by Ben Folds, often shifting from one song to another in mid-song. Regulars to this blog will know that we saw Ben Folds live at Gustavus Adolphus College in April. Will's heading off to visit friends in England in a week, and part of his three-week stay will include another Ben Folds concert in Nottingham in early July. Check out Will's own efforts as a Ben Folds wannabe. Scroll down in the player and click on the song "Juli O'Callaghan" for some Foldsian piano rock.

6. the bird and the bee, "Polite Dance Song" Of course, much of what I listen to is what Peter is listening to in the family room with his friends as they play Legend of Zelda. I actually quite like this song, and the video is a hoot. This is what I look like when I'm dancing in the kitchen! More often, though, what I hear is Hilltop Hoods' "The Nosebleed Section," which Peter's friend Tom is obsessed with, or The Format's "The First Single," which Peter once accidentally put on repeat and and left playing in his bedroom while he was out.

7. The Be Good Tanyas, "Ootischenia" I can't get enough of this song. For a better video, check out the Tanyas live, performing "Scattered Leaves." Frazey Ford (vocals), Samantha Parton (mandolin), and Trish Klein (acoustic guitar) are my Canadian Musical Crushes of the Week.



I was tagged by Penny. Now, who shall I tag? I already know what Kookiejar is listening to! What about you, Shan? Chris? If anyone else wants to come forward, be my guest—or hit me with some tunes in the comments.

Bonus song: Erykah Badu, "Honey" I challenge you to sit still while listening to this song.

6 comments:

Bleeet said...

My favorite Ben Folds song, and I like most of his stuff with the Ben Folds Five so this is a tough choice, has to be "Eddie Walker".

Did I already tell you this?

Really though, anything off the BFF's first two albums ranks high on the fabulometer.... and Naked Baby Photos is a great collection of odds and ends.

I'm so jealous you have a pianist playing those songs for you in your house. Can I rent him out while I do the dishes? Our piano is actually in tune now.

Rob Hardy said...

His current favorite to play on the piano is "Where's Summer B?," from the debut album. Your piano wouldn't stay in tune for long, the way he plays. He recently broke the sustain pedal on our piano. He plays very strenuously. At least he doesn't pick up the piano bench and throw it at the keyboard when he's done, as Ben Folds does in concert.

kookiejar said...

Oh, do you think I am so very predictable, Rob? :D I went ahead did this meme even without an official 'tag'...maybe you'll be surprised.

I like "Ootischenia", by the way. I've never heard that before, but it's good! Thanks for sharing it.

Shan said...

I'm hopeless. You really don't want to know what I'm listening to. It's mainly Justin Roberts, Dan Zanes, and Elmo. Sigh...

Christopher Tassava said...

That boy needs to use GarageBand! Can't break a sustain pedal on a virtual piano.

Chris said...

I'm so slow, Rob. Sorry. I'll get to this on the weekend. I'll have to check my MP3 player and see what my top songs are.

Now Available: Domestication: Collected Poems 1996-2016.

Domestication: Collected Poems 1996-2016 . Published February 25, 2017.  Available now from Shipwreckt Books in Rushford, Minnesota, ...