Saturday, June 28, 2008

Official

From the Northfield News.

I met briefly with a reporter for the Northfield News yesterday to have my picture taken and to answer a couple of quick questions about my run for school board. Mostly, we talked about writing poetry. Last night, Clara and I went with a friend down to the Cow for the first annual Junebug Music Festival. While we listened to Meredith Fierke and Peter's friends threw popcorn at each other, I had a brief chat with current school board member Wendy Smith (who isn't running for a third term), who told me that it was good that I wasn't running on a specific personal agenda—such as resentment that my son was locked out of Advanced British Literature because the enrollment limit was reached. Actually, that doesn't bother me too much. Will went off to England with Ernest Hemingway and Chinua Achebe in his backpack. If he enjoys reading and can be a self-directed learner, it doesn't concern me too much if he misses out on a couple of advanced courses in high school. There are plenty of students who are really struggling in school. Those are the students we need to be concerned about. As a candidate for school board, I can't think of our public schools as a tax-supported prep school for my college-bound kids; I have to think of it as an institution of democracy. I've seen advantages from Will not being in all of the advanced classes. He's made friends that he wouldn't otherwise have made, from backgrounds different from his own. That's an important part of education, too. American society shouldn't be sorted into the elitist and the anti-intellectual. Public education should prevent that from happening.

2 comments:

Bleeet said...

Do you all remember that one guy? Rob Hardy I think was his name?

Great writer? Red, curly hair?

Yeah! Yeah, that's him.

I miss him.

Bleeet said...

I'm concerned that technology may be so limited at Rob's island retreat he may not have the ability to floss.

Now Available: Aeschylus, Oresteia: An Adaptation

Now available from Hero Now Theatre: Aeschylus, Oresteia : An Adaptation by Rob Hardy . Paperback. 72pp. $16.95 In his adaptation of Aes...