Sunday, June 22, 2008

Declaratio

I'll be undergoing one of my intermittent spasms of gainful employment in the coming academic year, as a Visiting Assistant Professor of Classics at Carleton College. Who knows what effect this will have on blogging. In the fall, you may have to endure my random thoughts on Sophocles' Antigone, which I'll be reading with the students in Greek 204. In the winter term I'll be teaching my favorite course, Beginning Latin. At left is the Carleton College seal, which features both Greek and Latin, an explanation of which can be found here. The great American tradition of seals with Latin mottoes has recently been continued by Barack Obama, who this week debuted an official-looking seal sporting the Latin motto vero possumus: "Yes, We Can!"

2 comments:

Bleeet said...

Since I know very, very little about Latin, I always have fun making up my own meanings or changing things around in bastardized forms...

So Obama's seal to me reads:

"We are similar to the possum"

If it were velo possumus

"We go biking with possum"

If it were nero possumus

"I am an insane possum"

If it were hero possumus

"Look! Up in the sky! It's a possum!"

That's probably enough for now...

It's funny to me, damnit.

Shan said...

Ha! Bleeet is hilarious.

What I was going to say was, congrats on the job! How fun that you and my husband will be co-workers next year.

Public Poetry at the Northfield Public Library

In early August, the director of the Northfield Public Library, Teresa Jensen, asked me to write a poem to be displayed prominently in the...