Tuesday, May 6, 2008

"Anna"


I don't indulge in much frivolous shopping. Except for books and an occasional CD, I spend little on myself. According to a recent study, people are more likely to spend money on themselves when they're in a bad mood. Shopping is a kind of self-medication for people who are sad and self-focused. Oh, well. Blame it on the barometric pressure and the ionization of the atmosphere, but when I passed Grezzo Gallery this morning, I couldn't resist this antique (circa 1920s) portrait of a little girl (click to enlarge for detail). The portrait came with no provenance, so I have no idea who she is, but for now I'm calling her "Anna," which is the name of the six-year old girl in the novel I'm currently reading, Kate O'Brien's The Land of Spices. Now I will enter a long binge of self-denial to compensate for impulsively spending so much on something so frivolous. But at the moment, I'm experiencing a little glow of self-indulgent happiness.

1 comment:

Sibylle said...

That's a beautiful portrait indeed, thanks for sharing !
I tend to buy a lot when I see I'll be on holiday soon. I remember last year, just before July, there were so many parcels coming for me my mother had to move them to the dining room because they didn't fit into my bedroom.

Now Available: Aeschylus, Oresteia: An Adaptation

Now available from Hero Now Theatre: Aeschylus, Oresteia : An Adaptation by Rob Hardy . Paperback. 72pp. $16.95 In his adaptation of Aes...