Sunday, February 3, 2008

Professor TiVo

Today's Rutland (Vermont) Herald features an excellent profile of my brother-in-law Jason, a newly-tenured assistant professor of American Studies and Film and Media Culture at Middlebury College. Jason is my sister Ruth's husband. He has what his nephews Will and Peter consider the coolest job on the planet: the academic study of television and video games. He's perhaps the world's foremost expert on Dragnet, and has written extensively on Lost, The Wire, The Simpsons, and other shows. If you're interested in television and American culture, you'll be interested in what Jason has to say.

2 comments:

Penelope said...

I wonder if he knows of my old friend from Brown, Scott Bukatman, who also has an extremely cool job. His Wikipedia entry starts, "Scott Bukatman is a cultural theorist and Associate Professor of Film and Media Studies at Stanford University. Bukatman's research examines how popular media (film, comics) and genres (science fiction, musicals, superhero narratives) 'mediate between new technologies and human perceptual and bodily experience.'" Pretty much what he was into way back when I knew him, too. How wonderful when people can turn their hobbies/interests/obsessions into a respectable career!

kookiejar said...

I love what he had to say about fandom relating to creativity, and how "Lost" fans were so captivated by the map on the blast door. I know I was. Thanks for linking to that article. He's rad!

Public Poetry at the Northfield Public Library

In early August, the director of the Northfield Public Library, Teresa Jensen, asked me to write a poem to be displayed prominently in the...