Thursday, February 7, 2008

Happy Year of the Rat

On Tuesday, my first session of traction left me feeling well enough to dip into the 50 lb. bag of flour which has sat unopened in the kitchen since the middle of January. I was able, with relatively little pain, to mix and knead dough for broccoli sfinciuni, which has long been one of my vegetarian son's favorite meals. Sfinciuni is essentially a double-crust pizza, stuffed, in this case, with broccoli and ricotta cheese. The broccoli is steamed first, then sautéed in olive oil with a little garlic. For a little added flavor, I kneaded garlic and oregano into the dough, and sprinkled grated parmesan and kosher salt over the top crust before putting the sfinciuni into the oven. For those of you keeping track at home, that 50 lb. bag has now made the equivalent of two pizza crusts (about four cups of flour).

Who knows when I'll be able to bake again. I had an excellent night's sleep on Tuesday night, but I came back from my second session of traction yesterday with a complete return of the pain and general discomfort. Last night I managed about two and a half hours of uninterrupted sleep. This is quite discouraging.

Meanwhile, Happy Chinese New Year! According to Chinese reckoning, today is the first day of the year 4706, and the beginning of the Year of the Rat. I'm hoping I'll feel well enough this afternoon to get the wok out of the cupboard and put together a good stir fry to celebrate.

3 comments:

Jim H. said...

Rob:

Take a walk. Read a passage from Herman Wouk. Then get out the wok.

Sfinciuni is a Sicilian dish, and though my grandma and great grandma are Sicilian, I never heard of it. Sounds yummy, though! Always good to have one's culinary horizons broadened.

Thanks...

Penelope said...

Your sfinciuni (can you spell that phonetically?) sounds amazing. Glad to know your traction treatments are having at least some success.

Christopher Tassava said...

I hope the stir fry was possible!

Now Available: Aeschylus, Oresteia: An Adaptation

Now available from Hero Now Theatre: Aeschylus, Oresteia : An Adaptation by Rob Hardy . Paperback. 72pp. $16.95 In his adaptation of Aes...