Monday, February 11, 2008

The Grammys

No, I didn't watch the Grammys last night. Are you kidding? I can't imagine anything more boring than a televised awards show. Last night, we had a choice between the first part of the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle Pride and Prejudice on Masterpiece Theater, our Netflix DVD of Hairspray, or a pair of season six episodes of Buffy. The boys cast the deciding vote, and we watched Buffy.

This morning, I glanced at the Grammy winners list. The only thing on the entire list that I'd heard is the Plain White T's song "Hey There Delilah." (There used to be a YouTube video of Will singing it on the school radio station in Kenilworth.) The song lost in the Song of the Year category. Otherwise, it was as if the entire year in music had passed me by. Springsteen won in a couple of categories, but the last Springsteen album I bought was Tunnel of Love back in 1987. Steve Earle won for Best Contemporary Folk album, but the last Steve Earle CD I bought was Jerusalem back in 2002.

The only Grammy-winning album I could see myself buying is Jim Lauderdale's The Bluegrass Diaries, which won for Best Bluegrass album. A few years ago, Ralph Stanley came out with a 2-disc set of bluegrass duets with the likes of Bob Dylan, Alison Krauss, Gillian Welch, Dwight Yoakam, Vince Gill, Porter Wagoner, and other country and bluegrass luminaries. For me, the highlight was "If I Lose," a duet with Jim Lauderdale. I liked the man's twang, and I'd probably listen to his Grammy-winning CD from time to time when that old timey mood hits me. That's one of my little secrets: I love bluegrass. Blame Alison Krauss.

When the boys were little, I used to listen to Alison Krauss all the time. Somewhere, there's a video of little Will and Peter dancing to an Alison Krauss song; not so much dancing as spinning, one of them clockwise, the other counterclockwise. And for some reason, it's become a tradition to put on the Alison Krauss song "New Fool" as we drive through Marinette and Menominee every summer. Finally, Alison Krauss and Union Station is the only band I've seen live since college: I've seen them twice at the Minnesota Zoo, which is a surprisingly good place to attend a concert.

Meanwhile, here's the latest by a potential Grammy winner of the future!

2 comments:

Shan said...

I once read a fascinating, long, detailed article in The New Yorker about (if I am remembering it correctly) why most of us stop listening to new music around college-age/early adulthood, and then that's the only music we still like, years later. At the time I read it, I wasn't THAT long out of college/early adulthood--plus I went to graduate school forever, which as we all know prolongs that whole college-early adulthood phase of life--so I couldn't really imagine no longer listening to new music. And yet--here I am, 37 years old, and do I even know who any of the currently popular musical artists are (let alone listen to them)? No. Right now I don't even listen to adult music at all, because I don't want to have to explain adult subject matter, profanity, or anything else not appropriate for a precocious 3-year-old. But if I did still listen to adult music? Of course you know what I'd be listening to-- the music of my own college years, of course: U2, REM, Indigo Girls, Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, Trip Shakespeare, Suzanne Vega. I doubt I would have recognized anyone on the Grammys!

Rob Hardy said...

Shan, When you have older kids, you'll probably start hearing new music again. But this bluegrass thing I developed all on my own when I was in my 30s; I didn't like bluegrass at all when I was younger.

Public Poetry at the Northfield Public Library

In early August, the director of the Northfield Public Library, Teresa Jensen, asked me to write a poem to be displayed prominently in the...