Monday, January 14, 2008

Why I Hate Carleton Faculty Meetings

Here's how I spent my time (4:30-6:30 pm) while Clara was the first faculty meeting of the year:

4:30 pm: I go to the Econofoods and buy supplies to make potato pancakes for dinner, and nearly leave my wallet at the check-out. I freeze my hands on the walk home because Will wore my gloves to school (and left them there). I get home and realize I forgot to buy bread (my 50 lb. bag of flour still hasn't arrived).

5:00 pm: Peter calls from the high school, asking for a ride home from Nordic practice. When I arrive at the high school, Will is there, but Peter has gone to the waxing shed to wax his skis. I stop at the Econofoods a second time to buy bread. The express check-out girl is one hour grumpier.

5:30-6:00 pm: I peel and grate potatoes for potato pancakes. I also grate part of my right thumb.

6:00 pm: Peter calls again, asking to be picked up, etc. Peter arrives home and starts ruining his appetite on granola bars, bowls of cereal, and jam sandwiches while I continue to make the potato pancakes.

6:3o pm: Clara finally arrives home in a chipper mood from her faculty meeting. I threaten to walk off the job if anyone asks me when dinner will be ready. I narrate to Clara the events of the past hour and a half. Will says, "Let's all sit and listen to Dad rant." I angrily throw a fork onto the kitchen floor and open another beer. Clara tells me I didn't need to buy bread because there's a loaf in the freezer.

Okay, I feel much better now.

1 comment:

Shan said...

I have seen my future.

Believe me, there have (already) been many times I have felt like throwing a fork to the floor--or anything else immediately available. My late afternoon trials tend to involve things like spilled cat-dish-water and eaten crayons and preschooler tantrums, but...it's all the same really.

Now Available: Domestication: Collected Poems 1996-2016.

Domestication: Collected Poems 1996-2016 . Published February 25, 2017.  Available now from Shipwreckt Books in Rushford, Minnesota, ...