Sunday, January 13, 2008

Flossing

As some of you already know, my New Year's Resolution for 2008 is to floss regularly. Before we left for England in August 2006, my dental hygienist, Kay, told me that the best thing I could do for myself in England was to floss regularly. I managed, even without a New Year's Resolution, to floss once a day, every day, for the first seven months of 2007. Then we took our last English road trip to Salisbury, where I unexpectedly ran out of floss. I didn't have an opportunity to stop in at Boots for more floss, so my streak was ended. We'll see how well I do this year. The Flossometer at left will keep track of my current and best streaks of consecutive flossing days. Meanwhile, the rest of you should also try to floss daily for good periodontal health. Here's a link to a helpful guide to proper flossing from the American Dental Hygienists' Association.

5 comments:

fabrile heart said...

As my dentist said when I asked him which teeth I should floss:

"only the ones you want to keep"

Jim H. said...

Might I suggest a contest among your readers: the best (or worst) excuses for not flossing? Yours is a pretty good one -- being in a far-flung land where flossing isn't as revered as it is here, a land where apparently dental floss is available only where boots are sold.

John Mutford said...

If you want to floss more, eat more corn on the cob.

Shan said...

Oh my goodness, the Flossometer! I am laughing so hard right now. I love it. I need one too. My problem is that I am genetically blessed with great teeth, so I've gotten away with haphazard flossing for my whole with no ill effects. This, of course, leads to a profound lack of motivation to floss on a daily basis. Even though of course every dentist I have ever had has given me the flossing lecture at every check-up. Last year I made that resolution too! I didn't last even close to 7 months. Or did you say 8? I'm impressed.

Penny said...

After years of being only an occasional flosser, I finally got with the program over the last year or so. The happy result has been easier dental cleanings with virtually no bleeding, a return to normal "pocket" depth between my back teeth, and overt permission from my hygienist to schedule my cleanings 9 months, rather than 6, apart (helpful, since I don't have dental insurance). If I'd known it would make that much difference, I think I would have started much sooner. But maybe not. Good luck to you.

Now Available: Aeschylus, Oresteia: An Adaptation

Now available from Hero Now Theatre: Aeschylus, Oresteia : An Adaptation by Rob Hardy . Paperback. 72pp. $16.95 In his adaptation of Aes...