Saturday, December 1, 2007

God Adopts a Highway

God will be taking over highway clean-up from this group.

Those of us who live off exits of Interstate 35 may not be aware that dreams and prophecies have led a group of Christians to identify I-35 as the "Highway of Holiness" spoken of in Isaiah 35:8 (Isaiah 35=I-35): "And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness. The unclean will not journey on it; it will be for those who walk in that Way; wicked fools will not go about on it." In an effort to nudge along the fulfillment of that Biblical prophecy, a group called Light the Highway is staging "purity sieges" along I-35 to clear out the strip clubs and gay bars and other dens of iniquity that cluster around its exits. These folks see various disasters that have occurred along the route of the highway—from the bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City to the collapse of the I-35 bridge in Minneapolis—as clear signs of God's displeasure with the vice that litters His Highway. The effort has the backing of Pat Robertson, who featured a story about it on his 700 Club.

Clara informs me that it's proper blogger etiquette to acknowledge her for bringing this to my attention with the formula: "Hat tip to Clara for the link to Andrew Sullivan."

4 comments:

Jim H. said...

Oy vey.

Bleeet said...

Two words from their divine web site, two delightful words that apparently mean something to someone: "intercessory warfare".

Hard to know where to start with something like this.

So, I'll start by stopping.

fabrile heart said...

Words often fail me, and this is most definitely one of those times. That said, what is striking about the video clip (apart from the subject matter itself), is the rhetoric.

#bleet, you picked up on the same expression I did, I think it was at that point I poured myself a shot.

Bleeet said...

Yes, Fabrile Heart, I think I'll turn this christian crude-sade into another list. Perhaps it's too easy, but I can't let it slide by. Yes, the small 'c' in 'christian' is entirely intentional.

I'll try to get it online tonight.

Two New Online Publications

Two of my very brief essays were published online this summer. The first was the essay " Telephone ," which appeared in June in t...